Thursday 13 August 2015

IBM Installation Manager - Installing across the 'web' - no packages found


Recently my client decided to try and set up Installation Manager for IBM products on a webserver.   I guessed this was possible but just to make sure I spoke to my go-to expert, Dave Hay,  who pointed me at his blog  http://planetlotus.org/profiles/dave-hay_131315

Perfect!

I followed his steps to the letter but when I ran:

./imcl listAvailablePackages -repositories  http://jslwebserver/repos/WebSphere/8.5.5/Base/repository

I received the message "No packages were found"

Hmmm, how odd.  When I used IM to test connections to the repository it worked ok.  A quick look at the webserver logs showed that IM was trying to find repository.xml as well as repository.config and getting a 404 error.

A but more reading and I spotted this http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSDV2W_1.8.2/com.ibm.cic.auth.ui.doc/topics/t_introduction.htm   which states

Restriction: Installing from an HTTP server requires by using the Packaging Utility. You must use Packaging Utility to create the repository that is on the HTTP server.

Ok, so I downloaded the packaging utility and then carried out the next few steps:

1  Copied pu.offering.disk.linux.gtk.x86_64_1.8.2000.20150303_1543.zip   to /home/wasadm/PU

2   Unzipped the above file

3.  cd disk_linux.gtk.x86_64/InstallerImage_linux.gtk.x86_64/

4.    ./userinstc -acceptLicense

"Installed com.ibm.cic.packagingUtility_1.2.2000.20150303_1543 to the /home/wasadm/IBM/PackagingUtility directory.

5.    cd   /home/wasadm/IBM/PackagingUtility

6.    ./IBMPU


At which point a GUI starts up.  I selected "Copy repository" which allowed me to point at my exisitng repository.config file and provide a new location for the updated repository.

The utility then ran and in my new location, the repository now included a few new files, one of which was repository.xml

So now when I ran the following I was able to see the package


./imcl listAvailablePackages -repositories  http://jslwebserver/repos/WebSphere/8.5.5/BasePU/repository

com.ibm.websphere.BASE.v85_8.5.5000.20130514_1044


I was then able to run my install using the repository on hosted on the webserver.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    The bigger issue that we need to concern ourselves with is whether or not we have the need for an email database in order to become effective IBM Websphere Email Database in our email marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate information shared above. It’s of great help. If someone want to learn Online (Virtual) instructor lead live training in Big Data Hadoop and Spark Developer, kindly contact us http://www.maxmunus.com/contact
    MaxMunus Offer World Class Virtual Instructor led training on Cognos Administrator . We have industry expert trainer. We provide Training Material and Software Support. MaxMunus has successfully conducted 100000+ trainings in India, USA, UK, Australlia, Switzerland, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Bahrain and UAE etc.
    For Demo Contact us.
    Sangita Mohanty
    MaxMunus
    E-mail: sangita@maxmunus.com
    Skype id: training_maxmunus
    Ph:(0) 9738075708 / 080 - 41103383
    http://www.maxmunus.com/


    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Article ! I have bookmarked this article page as i received good information from this. All the best for the upcoming articles. I will be waiting for your new articles. Thank You ! Kindly Visit Us @ Coimbatore Travels | Ooty Travels | Coimbatore Airport Taxi

    ReplyDelete