Monday 16 November 2009

CORBA.NO_RESPONSE

I seem to be spending a fair bit of time recently tidying up systems that have been built for a while but don't quite work as expected once the testers get onto them.

My latest error was a CORBA.NO_REPSONSE error. The app server came up cleanly although there were suspicions in my mind when a war file was being started that it always waited for exactly 3 minutes before it completed initialisation.

Then when trying to access the app, we found the following in SystemErr.log:

java.rmi.RemoteException: CORBA NO_RESPONSE 0x4942fb01 Maybe; nested exception is:
org.omg.CORBA.NO_RESPONSE: Request 20 timed out vmcid: IBM minor code: B01 completed

A quick look at my app server ports showed that I had my ORB_LISTENER_ADDRESS set to "my node name" and the port was "0", so I assumed it was then using the noadagent port. My NA ORB_LISTENER_ADDRESS was set to "localhost" and port "9900". While this seems ok, in the hosts file, localhost resolved to the loopback address of 127.0.0.1

To resolve the issue, within WAS, I updated the Node agent ORB Listner to "myhost" port "9900" so that when WAS tried to connect to the host, it had a proper IP address to talk to.

Problem solved!

4 comments:

  1. Hi
    I need small clarification, when you say "myhost" is it remote WAS system? or you are talking about single WAS server and client program (Web) to access the EJB in it.

    Expecting your reply.
    Regards
    Balasubramnaian K (balasnk@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    "myhost" is set to the hostname of the WAS node this app server is running on rather than just relying on localhost.

    Regards

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks allot John !!! we had the same issue and it got solved after implementing the same changes you recommended .

    Thanks much ...
    -kiran.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am getting the same error but port is not 0

    ReplyDelete